MECHANICAL FAILURES CONTRIBUTE TO AUTO ACCIDENTS
“Teenagers’ lack of experience and familiarity with vehicle maintenance issues can result in motor vehicle malfunctions that cause car accidents or contribute to more serious injury in collisions,” one injury attorney in Atlanta cautions, citing a survey in which 66% of parents reported that their teens have minimal or no knowledge of car maintenance issues..
Teens may disregard warning signs, including:
- worn brake pads
- worn tires
- damaged sidewalls on tires
- steering and brake fluid that needs replenishing
There are basically four factors that contribute to collisions and deaths in general:
- poor roadway design
- poor roadway maintenance
- driver behavior (drunk or distracted driving)
- vehicle equipment or mechanical failure
When it comes to vehicle equipment, the top areas of concern, in addition to the brake systems and tires, are lighting, wipers, and steering systems.
Big problem is, while defective car equipment and lack of maintenance can result in car accidents, legally, accidents that were in any part caused by vehicle malfunction are difficult to blame on the other driver.
Truth is, as SmartMotorist.com explains, over 95% of motor vehicle accidents in the USA involve some degree of driver behavior, including excessive speed, aggressive or distracted driving, combined with some of the mechanical failures and possible inclement weather conditions.
Teenagers and cars can be a deadly combination, one Pennsylvania law firm observes, citing the following statistics:
- 32.8% of high school students nationwide have texted or e-mailed while driving.
- 12% of distracted drivers involved in fatal car accidents were teens ages 15-19.
- 56% of teens admit to talking on cell phones while driving.
- Talking on a cell phone slows a young driver’s reaction time to that of a 70-year-old.
As Indiana-based personal injury attorneys at Ramey & Hailey, we work on accidents resulting in catastrophic or permanent loss involving both driver and equipment error. When insurance isn’t enough to compensate for your loss, our firm is there to see you get the recovery you deserve.